Achieving the goal with the right methods.
Our work is based on sociological and economic methods. The Prognos toolbox contains both tried-and-tested and innovative tools. Also Data Science is part of it. One thing all our methods have in common: they are scientifically sound and reliable.
Unique: the Prognos models.
Reliable analyses and forecasts up to 40 years into the future – this is what Prognos stands for. For this, our experts have developed specific high-performance instruments: the technical-economic Prognos models. They allow us to answer very different, challenging system-related questions in the fields of economics, social welfare, energy and transport.
A selection of our methods.
Data Analysis/Data Science
- Quantitative and econometric analysis and evaluation of national and international official statistics and representative data sets (e.g. micro-census and the socio-economic panel [SOEP])
- Web crawling analyses with the Prognos Crawler
- Further Big Data analysis tools
- Graphical and interactive processing of complex data
- Delphi surveys
- Online surveys
- Interviews and technical discussions with experts and stakeholders
Workshops & Moderation
- Design and facilitation of online, hybrid and on-site meetings
- Workshops with strategic and implementing actors
- Focus groups
- Large group moderation
- Design thinking workshops
- Graphic recording
Evaluation & impact analyses
- Economic feasibility studies
- Cost-benefit analyses
- Implementation and environment analyses
- Theory-based impact analyses
- Target achievement and impact monitoring
- Counterfactual or comparative impact analyses
- Environment analyses
- Process visualisation
- Staffing needs assessment
Project planning, project management & monitoring
- Road mapping
- Risk and sensitivity analyses as well as opportunity-risk assessment
- Programme and project data monitoring
The technical-economic Prognos models can be interlinked depending on the question and make interdisciplinary aspects of a topic visible. This interactive graphic shows how the models are interlinked – click to open (in German):
The strengths of our models
- Refined. Over 40 years of model work have shaped our model portfolio into what it is today. The Prognos models successfully compete with other models from science and consulting.
- Interlinked. Our sub-models can be linked with each other depending on the issue at hand and thus depict interactions as well as overarching and integrated aspects.
- Scientific. Our modelling is based on precise knowledge of how the respective segment and its dynamics work.
- Tried-and-tested. We have been using models for decades, dealing with recurring issues. This allows us to check the results retrospectively and to constantly refine our models.
- Resilient. We map the interactions and dynamics in the respective segments with well-founded arguments and underpin our results with sensitivity calculations.
- Flexible. New questions require new approaches. Our models are modular to a large extent and can be extended or adapted to specific questions.
Prognos – Providing Orientation.
Prognos is one of the oldest economic research centres in Europe. Founded at the University of Basel, Prognos experts have been conducting research for a wide range of clients from the public and private sectors since 1959 – politically independent, scientifically sound.Learn more